Thursday, January 7, 2010

How many miles can I go on an oil change if I have synthetic oil? How does the synthetic differ ?

Jiffy Lube makes their cash by pushing every three months or 3k miles.





There is both a time and distance component to oil changes. I'd start by looking at the owners manual for your vehicle. It may suggest something like every 6months or 5K miles, or for many modern cars, it may be closer to 7500 or 10k miles between changes.





Modern Passenger Car Motor Oils (PCMO's) are very good and even many non-synthetic oils approach the protection of synthetic lubricants.





The oil itself NEVER wears out. What wears out in oil is the additives. Things that prevent wear, things that neutralize acids produced in the crankcase by the combustion process, detergents that keep the engines clean and Viscosity Index improvers that allow the oil to flow at a wide range of temperatures, and other additives, this is not an exhaustive list.





Personally, on my car and a lady friends, both out of warranty, I use Mobil 1 5W30 EP, the 15000 mile oil and change it every 15K miles or 6 months, whichever is first. Both of these cars easily get 10K to 15k miles in this time. I've done a used oil analysis on mine with regular 5W30 Mobil 1 and the oil had plenty of life in it, so I feel confident that 6 months or 15K miles with this oil is easy.





For my new car, still under warranty, I plan 6 month or 5K mile changes, according to the owners manual, probably with regular Mobil 1. However, almost any high quality, name brand PCMO should be able to protect the engine for this 5K/6month interval.





If you want to learn more than you ever wanted to know about oil, check the following links. You may need to register to read the forums, I don't recall.How many miles can I go on an oil change if I have synthetic oil? How does the synthetic differ ?
572ci is correct........ I use Mobil 1 in my Vette, which came in it since new. Also I change filter every 3500 and complete oil change at 7000, the oil is dirty enough at that time...


Don't use a cheap Fram filter, use Wix, Purolator, or a good micro fine filter.How many miles can I go on an oil change if I have synthetic oil? How does the synthetic differ ?
Synthetic doesn't sludge up easy.... it has better cold start pumpability, and stands up to higher heat longer..., after warranty I would do extended drains, IF its under warranty that is.... use a high quality oil filter like wix's, (napa gold) NO FRAM!
25,000 miles








www.sell2make.com online facilities
If your car is under warranty, you need to follow their mileage guide. Most new cars are 5,000 miles. If you do not follow this it could void the warranty, and if you ever have a problem you would be on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment