Thursday, January 7, 2010

Will synthetic oil help my car?

I have a '05 Scion tC and I'm due in for an oil change soon. I'm just wondering if I should switch over to synthetic oil because I heard that you could get better performance, mileage and that it was just better in general for you car. Is this all true?Will synthetic oil help my car?
Consumer Reports tested motor oils by putting them in New York City taxis and checking the tolerances on wear surfaces before and after running them hard for many miles. There was no measurable difference in protection among all the oils tested.





This was not the most severe test, however, because the cars ran continuously, so there were no 'cold starts,' the toughest test your oil must face.





Full synthetic oil (Mobil One or Castrol Syntec, Penzoil Platinum, Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic, Quaker State Q Advanced Engine Full Synthetic, Amzoil, etc.) protects better in this case. Because they have a wider viscosity index (thicken less with cold, thin less with heat) they are thinner after sitting while you work or sleep, so that the oil pump can get it to where it is needed to protect against wear quicker.





Synthetics also thin out less as your engine heats up, so they maintain the protective film better and under more severe conditions.





Finally, a synthetic oil's light fractions (thinner components) are less volatile, so they don't evaporate as readily, making the oil more stable and longer lasting.





Hope this helps. Good luck!Will synthetic oil help my car?
'05, go for it.


The gaskets shouldn't leak.
yes it is, you also don't have to change your oil as often. but remeber, once you put synthetic oil in your car you can't go back to using non-synthetic oil.
Nothing you will notice,except the extra expense.Regular oil has worked this long just fine. And it is just not worth it on a Scion.
All of this is true, but synthetic oil is really expensive compared to regular oil. They claim you don't have to change it as often, but then all the old dirt and pollutants will just keep circulating through the engine until the next oil change. You'll get 200,000 miles out of your Scion with regular oil with oil changes as recommended in your owner's manual.
My personal opinion is its better for your car and if you want your car to last spend the little extra money to keep it in good shape. I think Mobil 1 is about as good as it gets, it saved my parents 95 Impala ss.
Lol, asking which type of oil to use will get you a plethora of different opinions. I have read in magazines that running synthetic oil, tranny fluid, and rear-end fluid will give SOME cars 6-10 horsepower. So, just changing to synthetic oil probably won't give you a noticeable difference, performance-wise. Plus, in my opinion, synthetic oil does protect a little better and has better heat resistance, so the oil won't break down as easily. And you can go a little farther between oil changes with syn. oil. Personally, the only thing I didn't like about it, was in my 69 Firebird, I ran Castrol Syntec 5W-50. With it being such a thin oil, my oil pressure dropped a little under my comfort zone. But they do make thicker synthetic oils, so I am sure your more-technologically-advanced car will handle the synthetic oil just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment