Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I mix synthetic oil with mineral oil in my oil injected snowmobile?

I don't remember which I bought last year.....


The guy at the Ski-Doo shop says I can, but it MUST be Ski-Doo brand oil.Can I mix synthetic oil with mineral oil in my oil injected snowmobile?
nice %26amp; simple.


they are all mineral oil, ordinary mineral oil is heat treated gives a long molecular chain,


synthetic is chemically modified to give a shorter molecular chain so is more hard wearing,


semi synthetic is a mix of the 2,


brand does not matter they are all made the same way,





the only thing you can not mix is veg type oils with the other oils as turns to a rubbery goo %26amp; blocks oil waysCan I mix synthetic oil with mineral oil in my oil injected snowmobile?
It's not recommended to mix the 2 types in the crankcase, as they don't mix well.


I don't see a problem mixing them in the injector tank.


It's all going to be burned - whether they mix or not, is not a factor.


You do not have to use Ski-Doo brand oil.


Use any quality, brand name, 2 cycle oil specifically for injector type engines.


Some brands can be used as injector or gas/oil pre-mix - read the label.
They'll say anything to het you to buy their stuff. The truth is, I'm not sure, but I have knowlege that is related and may apply.





--For a rotory engine (Mazda rx7 or rx8) there are oil injectors that directly feed oil into the rotor housing to lubricate the seals between the rotor and the housing. It is a very bad thing to use synthetic oil in a rotory engine because it will not be consumed completely during the combustion process, leaving behind harmful depsoits that will accelerate the deterioration of the few moving parts in the engine. The same (I would assume) would apply to two stroke engines as well.





Then again, I could be wrong.
I would agree... somewhat, I know that synthetic blends are all over the market for cars, but cars do not use oil in their fuel. The other guy makes a good point about the residue left behind by the synthetic oil, I'm not sure if thats accurate or not.





I'm sure it doesn't need to be brand oil either, any two stroke oil will work, many people told me to stay away from synthetic in my bike because it's ';too slippery for the clutch';. I've never had a problem with it.





bottom line if it's all two stroke oil I'd just throw some good ol' fashioned earth oil in there and call it good.
Why? Synthetic is supposed to have the virtue of lasting longer


in long hard service which justifies its extra cost.


You are going to use it once and burn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment