Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Will I void my warranty on my 2007 grand caravan if I use synthetic oil?

I know that Synthetic oils are better and that can be changed less frequently than regular oil. With my old car I was changing it every 6,000 - 7,000 KM. Will this void my warranty since the manual specifyies to change the oil every 5,000 KM?Will I void my warranty on my 2007 grand caravan if I use synthetic oil?
Read up on the Magnuson-Moss Act. Basically a dealer has to prove, by law, that the aftermarket part caused a failure before denying a warranty. If the manufacturer did specifically require a certain part or service as a condition to maintain warranty then, by law, the manufacturer must provide that part or service for free. They also may not refuse warranty based solely on the use of a certain product.








Additionally, read further into your manual. You may find that there are two different maintenance schedules. One schedule may give you a change interval thats higher. If you find that your driving habits warrant that interval then go by it.





Also I would feel a lot better about changing my own oil than ever letting a dealer do it. I've seen more problems from a dealer changing the oil than I have an owner changing the oil. At least you know you did it right. I have a few horror stories that have happened to people I know just from a dealer doing the oil change. This isn't one specific dealer or service station either.





Personally I would let the engine break in properly using regular oil and then switch to synthetic. If you really want to get technical about it you can take an oil sample and have it analyzed.





I have an 07 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel and have the oil analyzed. The cost is about $20. That way if something ever does come up you've got scientific reports to back up your claim. This type of monitoring is frequently done in industry and in rail service. You can monitor any type of lubricant you wish for wear and lubricant quality. It becomes very cost effective and environmentally sound as many oil reservoirs for large equipment and rail engines would require many many gallons for an oil change. This way companies get the max value from their oil and can monitor the wear of the equipment. In these cases the oil may only be partially changed as all that is depleted is the high pressure or anti foaming additives. An entire oil change would only take place if it were severely contaminated from water, another fluid or if for instance a bearing was destroyed.





I work at a large chemical company and we do preventative maintenance on several very large compressors, turbines, locomotives, diesel engines for backup generators, pumps and 19 steam turbine driven electric generators and a plethora of transformers. I'm an Electrical Engineer so I deal with the generators and transformers a lot. While I don't deal with any of the fluid monitoring, it is the one I'm most aware of. Eight of these generators were installed in the late 30's and early 40's and the company has fluid monitoring records going back that far. They run 24-7 and are scheduled for a preventative maintenance shutdown every 2 years. The oil is monitored much more frequently than that though and should something odd be noticed from the sample the shutdown will occur much sooner.





Personally for my truck I use Blackstone Laboratories. You send off a sample by mail with a check for $22.50 and receive a very detailed report. You can put all the info into an Excel file and trend the results over time. The third party reports can hold up a lot in court.





http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test鈥?/a>





Hope this helps!Will I void my warranty on my 2007 grand caravan if I use synthetic oil?
No. Not as long as the synthetic oil you plan on using meets or exceeds the factories api rating.
it wont void the warranty ,if that were the case our warranty would be gone we have a 07 model too and have used synthetic in it from the first oil change,the dealer says it wont affect it,and its been back for several other things since then,so far ours has spent more time at the dealer than at our house,the latest is for peeling paint.
No. It's a better quality, doesn't evaporate, and lubricates better.
Stick to the recommended change intervals and just use regular oil. If things go wrong during the warranty period, you can say you've done your part.





Synthetics are more expensive and in most mechanics opinions are a lot of marketing hype.





They're not necessary unless it shows as required in your owners manual.
Well no but dealers always find reasons NOT to warranty things. I wouldn't use a synthetic oil till at least 36k
My dad had 1989 Grand Voyager and used Mobil One. After 1600 km, there was no oil in the crankcase. I kid you not.





After that, he never used it again. Synthetic oils can promote rear main seal leakage.

No comments:

Post a Comment