Friday, December 18, 2009

How do I change to synthetic oil?

Do I need to do anything special to my car before I change it to synthetic oil? Or do I just drain the ';regular'; motor oil and put the synthetic in?





also what are the advantages of Synthetic oil??





ThanksHow do I change to synthetic oil?
All you have to do is drain out the regular oil, replace the oil filter, and refill with synthetic oil.





WARNING: If your car has less than 10,000 miles on it, don't go synthetic yet. The rings and valves need to ';seat'; properly, and they won't if you put synthetic oil in too soon.





The jury is still out on synthetic motor oil. We've all heard accolades about how it makes engines last longer, but a mechanic friend of mine (who has been working on cars and big rigs for over 20 years) says synthetic motor oil is not good for engine bearings. Apparently conventional motor oil ';sticks'; to certain parts and minimizes wear but synthetic is too slippery to do that. My friend swears by STP Oil Treatment added to regular motor oil 2 or 3 times a year over synthetic or any regular/synthetic blend. It's a lot cheaper than using synthetic oil; that's for darn sure...How do I change to synthetic oil?
do a regular oil change but refill it with synthetic instead of regular oil.





simple as that.
Sarge is on the right path full synthetic is slippery it doesn't have the same carrying capabilities as a conventional oil. It will not take dust and other debris in your engine back to the filter nearly as well as regular oil. If you live in the country or even on an acreage basically anywhere there's some dust if you want to switch I would switch to a semi synthetic oil then you get the best of both worlds.
No, all you need to do is next oil change, refill it with synthetic. That simple!
You do not need to do anything but change the oil . The advantages to synthetic oil is number one it don't break down as easy as conventional oil the disadvantage is that it is more expensive , it is recommended for higher milage moters . One more thing , once you switch to synthetic you are highly advised not to go back to regular oil in the engine you ran the synthetic in . GOOD LUCK!!!
I agree with Sarge also--I've never used synthetic oil in my rig but I do add STP about every other or every third oil change.


Stick with regular.





If you're thinking about for the better mileage and most people don't improve their mileage enough to make it worth the expensive.
check it frequently for a while after changing over. sometimes they will burn oil for a time, then quit.
I agree with sarge except you can use synthetic right away in these new cars as there are new cars shipped from the factory with no miles on them that have synthetic oil in them, corvette being one. I believe synthetic is far superior to conventional oil as you will get better gas mileage with it and you can go 6,000 miles without worrying about an oil change.

No comments:

Post a Comment