Tuesday, December 22, 2009

When should I change the synthetic oil in my car?

I have a 2007 jeep wrangler with automatic trans. I have hit the 6,000 mile mark and have replaced the oil with that mobile 1 synthetic stuff. When should I change it, another 3,000 miles?


a friend of mine told me to change it every 6,000 since it is synthetic so that would mean I will have to wait till I reach the 12,000 mail mark?When should I change the synthetic oil in my car?
I use synthetic oil and have it changed every 5,000 miles. My mechanic says I can go as long as 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions and have the oil filter changed at 3-5,000 mile intervals. I'm too chicken to try it though and if I've got to pay someone to change the filter, I may as well change the oil too.When should I change the synthetic oil in my car?
It really is based on your driving habits. If you tow or live in the snow belt or do mostly city driving you should change it at the recommended 3000 miles. With standard oil my jeep recommends every 5000 miles of warm weather highway driving but i usually go 6 to 7500 miles with the synthetic oil. If you use 10000 mile oil you still have to change the filter after the 5000 miles or the 3000 severe duty driving or the filter may be clogged and bypass the oil completely to avoid bursting. If the prospect of 10000 mile oil changes is what your looking for there are several sites online that will analyze the oil for around $20 to check the condition of the oil and tell you exactly how its working at 5,7.5 and 10k miles. You will know for sure then on your future oil changes.
Mobil 1 is rated for 10,000 miles. It doesn't degrade, it just gets dirty.


I use Amsoil which is rated for 25,000 miles. After 18 years of using synthetics, the body rusts out before the engine quits.


(Amsoil actually guarantees the oil for 25k, and will replace your engine, if anything goes wrong because of oil.)


Mobil 1 is darn near the same thing, so you can extend your drain times to 10,000 with no worries.
Go around 5000. You would have to be pretty dumb to go 10000 miles between oil changes. Just cause the oil don't breakdown doesnt mean its not dirty. Doesn't really matter how well it lubricates if its dirty it kinda defeats the purpose.





I wouldn't trust the best oil filter for 10000 miles.
I agree 5000 miles oil and filter

No comments:

Post a Comment