Saturday, December 26, 2009

My mechanic is suggesting that I use synthetic oil for my next oil change. Does this make a big difference?

I have recently purchased a new vehicle. I was told that synthetic oil is a better value in the long run. I have typically paid about $25 for conventional oil change. What is the price that I should be looking at if I decide on using the synthetic oil?My mechanic is suggesting that I use synthetic oil for my next oil change. Does this make a big difference?
I wouldn't use it on a new car, the parts have to break in first. After 10K miles you can start using synthetic oil. You will get better gas mileage (1+mpg for my Durango) and you don't have to change it so often (i change mine every 5,000 miles). I pay about $50.00 to have mine done, compared to $22.00 for regular oil.My mechanic is suggesting that I use synthetic oil for my next oil change. Does this make a big difference?
I'm sold on synthetic oil for new cars.





This isn't to plug a particular brand, but I've used Amsoil (a synthetic motor oil) in my Pontiac Aztek since I purchased it new in 2001. With 136,000 miles on it, the engine doesn't leak at all; I think I've added a half quart of oil once between scheduled changes in all that time. I also saw the Aztek, fully loaded and AC blasting, pull a fully loaded pop up camper (which maxed out its 3500lb towing capacity) all day long at 75MPH in 90 degree heat without any signs of the engine overheating.





Here's the part that other respondents may take issue with, but at least with Amsoil, they recommend only changing the oil every 12 months or 24,000 miles, and the filter every 6 months. I've done that faithfully and had ZERO engine problems related to oil. Even if you don't take it to the extreme that I have, you can definitely change oil less frequently when you use the synthetics, which more than offsets the additional cost and also adds the convenience of fewer changes.
As long as the vehicle is new, this is a good idea (sometimes it's not a good idea to switch from conventional to synthetic on a much older vehicle). However, synthetic oil is much more expensive. A typical oil change will probably run you $70-80 with synthetic.





If you're seriously considering it, I would suggest learning to change the oil yourself. You can buy synthetic oil in bulk from Wal-Mart or some other general chain at a discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment