Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is synthetic oil so superior as to justify the much higher price?

For years we have used non-synthetic oil without destroying our engines. Now the general buzz is that synthetic oil is many times superior. Does it really reduce friction to the point where gas mileage is increased? I am not putting it into a racing car but merely a Toyota Corolla. Does the supposed difference only apply to high-performance engines? Does it protect the average engine from wear any better?Is synthetic oil so superior as to justify the much higher price?
Here's my opinion..go to this site as I consider it the #1 site on the net when it comes to any questions regarding engine oils, additives etc. There's a message board as well.





Here's a quote from the site.





';Bob Is The Oil Guy (BITOG) began in May 2002 with a handful of participants and now our oil forums have over 16,000 registered members. And we have well-respected tribologists, chemists, and oil analysis professionals who regularly participate and contribute their knowledge and expertise.





Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something. It's about educating you so you can make informed decisions about the life blood of your engine: motor oil.';Is synthetic oil so superior as to justify the much higher price?
The major advantage of synthetic oils is that they are not petroleum based, or not ';entirely'; petroleum based, in some cases. The theory tends to be that it does not ';break down'; over time, runs cleaner longer, and does not leave a lacquer residue on parts. As for being better at lubricating, increasing horsepower, or giving better mileage, I don't really believe it. I still use regular motor oil, usually the cheapest five quart bottles, and change it and the filter every couple months...that philosophy has never let me down yet.
Yes, synthetic oil is finally coming into its own. Newer cars are being sold with synthetic oil.


http://www.allpar.com/eek/synthetic.html





Here is the catch though. Before you use it do at least two back to back fillups to get an accurate MPG reading. Then if you use a quick oil change shop make sure you stand there and watch them. I personally do not trust them anymore. Anyway, after about 1000 miles driving do a MPG check and see how you are doing. It takes about that long for the oil to seep into the metal properly and for you to notice the difference. Now if you get the difference and then multiply the miles saved you should see the dollars saved on the gas. It is really noticeable of the mileage saved when you do long distance driving. I had a 33% increase on my 82 Toyota Celica and it was a 4 cylinder engine and this was in 84 when I started it. I think I was saving about $10 a month. I know the saving would be more now with these high gas prices.





Synthetic has some lubricants in it that are small enough to seep into the metal. Regular oil just coats a metal piston, not seep into it. Also, you do the recommended synthetic oil change every 6 months, not 3 months. So a regular oil change is about $9 and then $9 again in the next 3 months. Now at Walmart you can get the 5 qt can for the price of 4 quarts so you save money there. But if you do use 5 quarts then it is about $28 vs $18 in a 6 month period.





Now what I did on my celica was change the oil filter every 3 months or sooner and did the synthetic oil change every year. Regular oil has a breakdown of 12,000 miles and synthetic has a breakdown at 60,000 miles. So how they came up with 6 months oil change I do not know. But my car had 210.000 miles before it was stolen. They found it and I did not know that I could have bought it back cheaper than the money they paid me for it. But it was running smooth. The reason I was a stickler on oil filter changes, cuz in the Army maintenance I learned that microscopic metal particles in the oil is what puts wear and tear on an engine. So I figured to changed oil filters often, but the synthetic oil once a year. Worked for me. I have a 92 Ford Eddie Bauer which I bought from my brother. I had turned him into a synthetic user. Anyway, the original engine has over 231,000 as of last week. I had to get another free tire from Discount Tire, otherwise I never really look at the odometer. The only thing done to the engine was change the oil pump and valve cover gaskets.





But do the fillup test first before your syn oil change. Then when you see the difference in money, like me you will never go back to the dark side. Money rules!!!!
Synthetic oil is made from standard oil but it has been chemically altered for superior sheer resistance. Thinner oil will now have the same protection as thicker oil with less resistance. It will not reverse engine damage but will hold it off for longer.
All that synthetic oil does is increase your Hp by to 2 or 3 because it is not so thick as regular oil.
i don't think there are any HARD stats on that. i haven't seen a lot of manufacturers advocating synthetic.
One of the key reasons to switch to synthetic oil is you will achieve better gas mileage.
I posed the same question to myself three yrs. ago to myself when I purchased a new 4 cyl. Camry. At that time Toyota had an oil sludge problem looming around their heads. I figured that by using an oil (Mobil 1 synthetic) I could duck the causes of the claim. Sure enough, inside the valve cover looks like a hospital operating room. I wanted optimum protection inside the little hot running motor. It's payed off with 35 - 36- mpg. highway and 26 - 27 around town. True @ $22.50 per gallon at every 5000 mile oil change may sound excessive. It's the first car I've ever used 100% synthetic oil. The motor has been perfect and when my free dealer oil changes are up at 36,000 miles I plan on continuing this program. I've been changing my own oil in all my other cars since the early 60's. To preserve every bit of leverage of the 60,000 drive train guarantee I'll continue to stick to the 5,000 mile Mobil 1 changes.
synthetic extends oil change time. Many car and oil co. say 12 to 15 thou.. yes it does improve millage though only slightly...in the government cafe world 1/3 mpg times 3 million cars helps....Your car may not blow up with regular old oil but say it lasted 300,000 miles instead of 150,000.. The money part.. is it worth it? I still use regular oil and change it at 5,000 miles..My S10 has 125,000 miles and uses 1/2 qt between changes.I'm happy

No comments:

Post a Comment