Tuesday, December 22, 2009

On brand new cars, how often do you have to change the oil if you're using synthetic oil?

I bought the new civic a few months ago and I'm planning on switching over to using royal purple synthetic oil, because everyone tells me that it'll last a lot longer and it's better overall. With regular oil, I'm suppose to change it every 5k miles. How often do I have to change it if I decide to switch to synthetic oil?





Right now my car has 10k miles on it....On brand new cars, how often do you have to change the oil if you're using synthetic oil?
Synthetic is better and will save you a few thousand miles, but there are so many factors to take into account: how ';hard'; you drive (accelerating fast, going up hill, a lot of city driving instead of freeway driving, etc.) has a lot to do with it. The main thing is to check your manual. I know most Civics do NOT require the oil to be changed every 3,000 miles like a lot of people will tell you, instead it's like 7,500 miles, right? I know my 2004 Accord only requires the oil be changed about every 7,500 miles so I try to get in and have it done about every 8,000 miles. Really the best way to check is too look at what color the oil is on the dip stick. If it's getting dark, dark brown then it's about time, but if it's light brown or a golden color, it's usually all good.





I hope this helps!





Oh yeah, one more thing: make sure you check your manual. The first batch of oil in the car is special and is ';break in'; oil designed to lubricate the engine in a certain way, so I think you don't need to change the oil for a much longer time. Check it out before you change.On brand new cars, how often do you have to change the oil if you're using synthetic oil?
The more often you change the oil. Long life on you engine. Inside motor are to many very small conducts to lubricated the working parts, and that holes star closing with tick and old oil causing engine problems, like overheathing and burning oil ( Smoking ) not enough power.
regardless of how often you change your oil be it synthetic or not, you still need to change your oil filter at LEAST every 5k, but realistically you SHOULD do it every 3k, obviously along with the oil. Treat your car right, unless you like built up sludge covering your valvetrain.
you should still change it every 5k. I heard that even with new cars where they say you can change it 5k you still should change it every 3k like older cars. I dont know but I just get it changed every 5k I have a 07 toyota.
8,000 miles for most good SYNTHETIC brands is very safe for a newer vehicle. many list intervals at 11,000 miles. With a new vehicle like that and moderate driving id go with 10,000 myself. you made a wise choice in going synthetic.
As often as you would with any other oil. Synthetic oil gets dirty just as fast as regular oil and getting rid of dirty oil is why you have it changed.
3000 if you don't want to void the guaranty
i use synthetic and change my oil around 7-8 thousand miles


but for a brand new car 9-10 thousand should be okay
i would think that a ';PIMP'; would know the answer to that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment