Saturday, December 26, 2009

If I use a synthetic oil can I change my oil every 6,000miles?

Someone told me that if I use a filter other than a top quality brand it will bypass the oil at 3,000 miles. So unless I uses a Wix or equal filter it will only be good for the first 3,000 miles. Is this true? I don't think so.If I use a synthetic oil can I change my oil every 6,000miles?
Synthetics like Mobil 1 are better against shearing %26amp; breakdown than regular oils, that's why they can go longer than the normal interval. I wouldn't sweat it for 6k or even more miles. As for filters, if you're springing for the high $$ oil it doesn't hurt to spend a buck or 2 on a good oil filter, but most filters are pretty decent unless you're going totally bargain basement. I've always had decent luck w/Fram, but any decent filter should be fine for whatever interval you use for the oil. I recently did switched to Mobil 1 in my Honda with 180k miles %26amp; it was fine for 10k miles.





Ultimately it's what you feel comfortable with - ask yourself how many times you've blown up an engine and your mechanic said it was because you forgot to change the oil at 3k miles. A buddy of mine used to do insurance warranty work on motors and he would regularly get engine oil analysis done on engines that siezed - usually the analysis would put the oil at something like 20k miles before the engine killed itself, so I don't think 1 or 2k miles extra between changes means imminent death for your engine.





Don't get me wrong - I typically change my other cars around 3k miles, but that's just because I want to crawl under it and make sure nothing else is going wrong - the extra 10 minutes and 10 bucks to do the oil is just an excuse to take a look......If I use a synthetic oil can I change my oil every 6,000miles?
An oil filter does not have an odometer on it, so it doesn't know how many miles it has gone. So the answer is no, that is NOT true. Who fed you that line of crap?





Depending on your driving habits, weather, etc, you can probably safely go 6,000 miles on regular oil. Many manufacturers will state in their car manuals that oil changes are recommended every 7,500 miles (unless you do a lot of towing, driving up mountains, do lots of stop-n-go, any driving that puts extra stress on the engine). I never worry about going over 3,000 miles between oil changes, although high mileage vehicles (like mine) are better off not going too far over 3,000 miles.





Synthetic oils tend to need changing less often, but beware, once you put in synthetic oil you always need to use synthetic...can't go back to conventional or you might cause damage to the engine. I personally don't think synthetics are worth the extra $$$ unless you have the likes of a high-end sports car.
You can probably go 6000mi on regular oil Oil is a lot better than it used to be. The thing is how diluted with gas and contaminates is the oil getting and that is the same which ever you use. I am not sold on the expense of Synthetic being worth it but I do spring for Prolong once in a while. Only when your filter is clogged will it bypass. For most situations that is more like 30,000mi.
use filters that r recomended for synoil, if not, change the filter after 3000 miles... Just to be safer. U can go with the regular filters 6000 miles, but u play lottery , u see the difference only in time


Ps: is better to go 7000 m with same syn oil and 2 regular filters changed after 3500 miles, than go with syn oil and one regular filter 5000 miles. Do not go over 8000 miles without oil change. Everything has a limit. Why pushing it?


Also check ur level more often, at first, to see when u start loosing oil, if the car eats too much syn oil is not worth it since is more expensive and u gotta keep adding
Regardless of what is said, I'd continue to keep my oil change at regular interval of at least every 3,000 miles, and always use a top brand quality filter.
Thats baloney, you will be fine if you change the oil at 6,000 miles and use a fram filter.
if you use Full synthetic oil you can go 12 to 15000 miles on a oil change. i run mobile1 full synthetic with a wix filter with no problems. i only change the filter when i change the oil.





ase auto tech 9yrs

No comments:

Post a Comment